Over the years, I’ve traveled from community newspapers to consumer magazines, with a focus on performing arts coverage, non-profit issues and work with international humanitarian-aid agencies.
As a writer, I’m known for an ability to step back and take a big-picture look at cultural issues, spotting trends by making not-so-obvious connections between diverse subjects, along with an ability to turn reams of incomprehensible data and marketing jargon into reader-friendly narratives. A similar vision has guided my editing work, as every project is developed with an eye toward creating a complete package of text and visuals, no matter what the medium.
My home base is in beautiful Brooklyn, NY. Contact me at: winzenried.rebecca @ gmail.com
Case studies, advocacy reports, fact sheets and op-eds for Save the Children and United Nations World Food Programme, distilling detailed research into informative materials for wide distribution, including programs on climate change, sustainable agricultural markets and nutrition.
Books (content and copy editing, chapter head/headline/caption writing, content and photo research, design assistance) for Leonard Bernstein: American Original (HarperCollins) and The Opera Fanatic: Ethnography of an Obessession (University of Chicago Press).
Feature articles on issues including social/digital-media best practices, audience development and marketing trends, economic pressures on the nonprofit world, creative use of emerging technology, and urban redevelopment. (See Articles page for additional.)
- digital and print media (newspaper, magazine, books, web, mobile)
- social-media content/trends/best practices
- content management/project management (digital, print)
- design and production, from A to Z
- photography/graphic design
- media relations
- meeting/event planning
- strategic planning and branding campaigns
- nonprofit operations/philanthropy
- board/membership/volunteer relations
- advocacy/public policy
AREAS OF FOCUS
- performing arts
- arts education
- new media/technology
- culinary arts
- interior design, home renovation
- antiques and collectibles
- Two-time winner, ASCAP Deems Taylor Award for Excellence in Music Journalism for feature articles on audience motivations and how new concert halls reflect contemporary life.
- Referenced as an authoritative source by numerous publications, writers and bloggers, including The New Yorker’s Alex Ross (Listen to This) and business strategist Adrian Slywotzky, Demand: Creating What People Love Before They Know They Want It.
- Playbill (Lincoln Center, New York Philharmonic)
- Opera America Magazine
- Woman’s Day Special Interest Publications: Kitchens and Baths, Decorating Ideas, Home Remodeling, Home Building, Garden and Deck Design, Eating Light
- Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest Publications: Renovation Style, Traditional Home
- Great American Kitchens: Vols. I-III
- Elle Decor
- American Baby
- Editor & Publisher
- Kansas City Magazine
- Kansas City Star
- Sun Newspapers (Kansas City metro area)